Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit

It's pretty simple - I don't think there's been any other band in the last 25 years that's affected so many people the way Nirvana did.

It's been 17 years since Kurt did what he did, and left us for good.

Seems crazy to think that it was that long ago.

I still remember the morning it happened, sitting in the back seat of the family car while my parents drove me to a family BBQ, as the news of Kurt's death came over the radio air waves.

I remember Helen Razor the Triple J morning show host, breaking down and crying on the radio, and reading a poem she had written about Kurt. She as very emotional and so damn pissed off at Kurt for what he had done.

Music as I knew it changed forever that morning.  I was experiencing the first death of one of my idols. Like Razor I was shocked, upset, emotional and angry, I pretty much felt exactly like Nirvana's music.

They were so raw, so powerful and yet clearly so messed up. That's probably what made them so great, the fact that you never knew what you were going to get.

God I wish I had of seen them live.





NevermindIn UteroNirvana

1 comment:

  1. I was still in high school ... MY stepdad was driving me to my part-time job early on a Saturday morning when I heard the news on the radio ... I'll never forget it, it was the first time I mourned for someone I admired. Sadly it wont be the last. RIP KURT!

    Susannah

    ReplyDelete

linkin

Related Posts with Thumbnails