Friday, November 11, 2011

Jeff Buckley - Leonard Cohen - Hallelujah

Howdy folks,

Welcome to the most covered song of all time! OK, so I don't actually know that for a fact (to lazy to even google it), but it certainly has to be up there.

I went and saw KD Lang in concert this week and she did an amazing cover version which got me thinking about the tune.

The first version I ever heard was by the late great Jeff Buckley. His haunting voice gives the song such a powerful and emotional feel. But you can't talk about Hallelujah and not include the original and that of course is by the legendary Leonard Cohen.

To be honest, up until 2008 I'd never even heard of Leonard Cohen, sad as that is, I made up for lost time and by the end of the year I'd seen him live three times. Once at Glastonbury, then at a festival in the Spanish sun, followed by a special performance in an Australian vineyard.

I've included both version here today because I love them both equally. What's you're favourite version?






No comments:

Post a Comment

linkin

Related Posts with Thumbnails